Friday, September 6, 2013

I found myself in paradise

You know those moments when you close your eyes, open them, then close them again and attempt to convince yourself that you're not dreaming?

I had that moment this morning when I went for a walk to the market with my CouchSurfing host, Julien, and we ended up at this amazing beach.  There were close to a hundred surfers on the beach and in the water, and off in the distance you could see the mountains of San SebastiĆ”n, Spain.  I was in awe, on top of the high I was already experiencing from eating a fresh-from-the-oven croissant and a delicious, juicy peach.  I mean, look at this:


I felt so alive, sitting there with Spain in the distance and the salty breeze on my face.  I kept thinking to myself, How lucky can I possibly be?  I had an incredibly kind host who not only picked me up from the airport in Biarritz, but also fed me when we got to his flat.  I got to sing karaoke in a French bar, wade into the ocean in the moonlight, and talk about traveling with fellow travelers.  This morning I fell in love with the town by daylight and now I am waiting at the train station for my best friend who will be here at any moment.  I haven't seen her since October.  Can life get any better than this?

There are six of us lined up here on the steps at the train station, all waiting for the train to St. Jean Pied de Port.  Red, green, black, blue, yellow... we all have different backpacks, but we are all the same.  I'm surprised at how calm I feel, considering the journey we begin tomorrow.  I'm not really even sure what my journey is or where it's taking me.  I am vulnerable right now, surrounded by people I don't really know, although somehow we all know each other intimately.  It is liberating, and I feel completely at ease with these strangers who will become my family tomorrow.

K
Bayonne, France

No comments:

Post a Comment